If you have been arrested and charged with sale of methamphetamine, or possession with intent to sell, distribute or transfer meth in Mississippi, there are some things you need to know.
(1) It is illegal in Mississippi to sell, transfer, manufacture or distribute methamphetamine;
(2) It is also illegal to possess methamphetamine with the intent to sell, transfer, manufacture or distribute to another person;
(3) Regardless of whether you are charged with possession with intent, or the actual sale of methamphetamine, the penalties are the same;
(4) If you are charged with possession with intent, or the sale or transfer of methamphetamine, you face a potential sentence of thirty (30) years in prison and a fine of $1,000,000.00;
(5) Even though you may think you are guilty, there are many defenses to possession of meth, and the State’s case is seldom as strong as you think;
(6) If the charge is possession of methamphetamine with intent to sell, deliver, etc., the amount of meth in your possession may require that the charge be reduced to simple possession of meth. This will greatly reduce the potential maximum sentence you face.
I’m a criminal lawyer in Jackson, Mississippi, and represent people charged with possession with intent to sell methamphetamine and other drugs and controlled substances. If you have been charged with sale of methamphetamine or other controlled substances, please contact us at our Jackson, Mississippi criminal defense website for a free case evaluation.